AFC are foursome in battling draw

August 3, 2021

Thackley 4 Goole AFC 4

Goole AFC’s first match of the new season at Thackley ended in a very entertaining 4-4 draw.

In the opening exchanges of the game, Thackley could have easily had a penalty after one of their players was seemingly brought down in the box by Jordan Emery but luckily for Goole, the referee waved play on. Goole went in front in the sixth minute when a cross from the left hand side of the box was headed in by Liam Parker, scoring his first goal for the club. Goole were starting to look like the better side and only four minutes later had another great chance to increase their lead through a number of rapid attempts, all which were either saved by the keeper or blocked by the home defence.

The Vikings went further ahead on 23 minutes, again from the head of Liam Parker who got his second of the match in near the same fashion as his first but with a more powerful and confident header into the top the right corner. Thackley responded almost immediately, as in the 25th minute Kieran Haigh headed home from a cross into a crowded box to reduce the arrears. Just ten minutes later and Thackley were on level terms, from a corner that Goole was unable to clear, which saw Ben Grech-Brooksbank fire home making the game 2-2.

The home side dominated the last 20 minutes of the first half, with Albert Ibrahimi and Ben Grech-Brooksbank forcing Mat Zaniewski into making some amazing saves to keep the game level. The first 15 minutes of the second half was fairly equal with both teams struggling to get their shots off and most attacks coming to nothing. In the 60th minute Thackley went ahead, a corner that was cleared just outside the box landed at the feet of Albert Ibrahimi, his shot from outside the box, which Matt Zaniewski did get a hand to, was just too powerful and ended up in the back of the net to make it 3-2 to Thackley.

Thackley increased their lead on 72 minutes, a cross that was punched away by Matt Zaniewski only as far as Ben Grech-Brooksbank who hit the ball home to get his second of the game. In the 77th minute a cross into the box was headed home by Jordan Emery putting Goole firmly back in this game and looking to draw level. Just three minutes later, Goole equalised when Callum McKeown, who had only come off the bench about five minutes earlier, chipped the home keeper, Mark Bower. In the 87th minute, Jahro Parchment beat the Goole defence and was through on goal until Jordan Emery brought him down. Being the last man he was shown a red card. Neither side wanted to settle for a draw and both had good chances to win the game. Goole had a well-worked counter that led to Carl Stewart forcing Mark Bower to make an amazing save to keep the game level.

The final whistle blew with the match ending all square. To come back from being 4-2 down so late on in the game, shows great character from this newly assembled Vikings team and bodes well for the season ahead. Goole AFC are in FA Cup action on Saturday, August 7 as they welcome Sunderland Ryhope Colliery Welfare to the Victoria Pleasure Grounds, kick-off at 3pm.

It was a battling performance as the Vikings began their league campaign away from home. (Photo courtesy of Robert Leal Photography) (05-08-203 SU)

Share this article