East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s free compost giveaways are back with 6,500 bags of compost – 75 tonnes - ready to handed out to local residents throughout September.
The increase – from the 55 tonnes normally given away – is as a result of the popularity of the giveaways events held in May.
Councillor Paul West, the council’s portfolio holder for environment and transport said: “The compost giveaways we held in May proved to be so popular that we’ve upped the amount this time to make sure we can cope with the demand.
“These giveaways are the council’s way of thanking residents for their continued support of our recycling schemes.”
As normal, residents are invited to drive along to their nearest event, where two bags of compost will be placed into their car boots by council staff.
The compost being given away is made up entirely from the garden and food waste which East Riding residents recycle in their brown bins.
Brown bins can take grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, small branches, leaves, flowers and weeds, all cooked and uncooked food, peelings, plate scrapings, bones, bread, meat, eggshells and small amounts of soups, sauces and gravies.
All brown bin contents get recycled into compost by the Biowise plant in Willerby – where the giveaway compost comes from.
In our area free compost will be given away at the following events:
- Monday, September 11 from 5pm – Pocklington, Wolds Gliding Club, Hodsow Lane, YO42 1NP.
- Tuesday, September 12 from 4pm – Goole, West Park, DN14 6UU.
- Friday, September 15 from 4pm – Brough/Elloughton, Brantingham Park, Elloughton, HU15 1HX.
- Saturday, September 16 from 10am – Beverley, council depot, Annie Reed Road, HU17 0LF.
- Wednesday, September 20 from 4pm – Driffield, Driffield Showground, Kelleythorpe, YO25 9DN.
The full list of events taking place elsewhere in the East Riding is available on the council’s website.
Residents are asked not to queue at the venues beforehand or they may be turned away for safety reasons.
The compost is best used as a soil improver.
East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s free compost giveaways are back. (31-08-104 SU)